Tuesday 27 September 2011

Lots to Love too...

I was reading over my last few posts and I thought that after fully sharing my initial impressions of the house, I didn't leave much of an impression of liking anything in my house and that is so not the case.  I love love love that our house was built in 1920.  I have always loved history and I never get sick of trying to imagine all of the lives lived in this house, what kind of family celebrations must have gone on, all the different holidays celebrated, what their jobs were, where they came from...I could spend hours daydreaming about what has gone on in this house over the last 91 years. 

I love that because of its age, our house has a lot of unique features, like an original clawfoot tub



and its nice chunky original baseboards and trim (and that every original window and the front door have that section of 3 smaller windows at the top).



I love that it has its original hardwood floors



I love that it has a nice sized backyard.  So does Darryl.





And I love that it has a 3rd story loft and a great big porch, I'll have to get a better picture of the porch because this doesn't really do it justice.  Another thing I need to get a picture of is the house's milk box.  It always makes me think of simpler, more personal days, when people knew the names of their milk and mail delivery people.  Sometimes I get caught up in the nostalgia of living in an older house.  I just love it.  




These are a few of my favourite things! ....about my house. 

What are some of the things that you love about your house?


2 comments:

  1. Our home was built in the 20's too and I often think the same way you do about it. Unfortunately there isn't really anything original left here, but it does have a lot of character. I'd love to see if I could somehow find the original floor plans for this house too! They have definitely been altered in the last 91 years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've often thought of going to the City and asking if they have any documents like original blueprints or anything on it, that would be so cool to have!

    ReplyDelete