Monday 26 September 2011

What's In a Name?

When I decided to start recording our renovating adventures on this blog, I was stumped for a while on what name I should give it.  I thought about our house, and what it means to me.  I thought about how, once I was on board with this venture, I couldn't help but see this poor house as an unloved, mistreated, abondoned little orphan.  I truly felt that, if we were going to take this on, it was going to be my personal mission to care for, love, and repair this house back together.  I know it sounds dramatic, but this situation was dire!  And with it being the largest purchase of our lives, I think the passion we felt was necessary.

And as if that wasn't enough, we were told that before we moved in, they cleared out bags of used needles out of the loft...bags!  And after we moved in we uncovered a handmade crack pipe with a rock still in it!  I know, I know, where the heck are we living right?  Darryl assures me the neighbourhood is "up and coming".  I really hoped so at the time.  Having been here for nearly 2 years now, we've definitely met some nice neighbours and seen new investments being made in the area, so that's a good thing! 

After giving it all some thought, it was pretty easy to name this blog, especially with our street name so similar to "Annie"!  It made perfect sense.  Little Orphan Aggie it was!

Before we moved in, the owner painted the walls up for us so that by the time we moved in, we no longer had walls that looked like this:





but rather walls that looked like this:





Yay!  It's amazing what just a coat of paint can do to a place.

So now it's time to turn this crack house's frown upside down and breathe new life into it.  Stick around cause things are about to get good!

No comments:

Post a Comment