Thursday 22 November 2012

Seating Plans

In the summer I showed you our seating guide inspiration.  We loved the idea of using our house's 92 year old original windows that we replaced.  This house means a lot to us, we've put a lot of our own blood, sweat and tears into it, it's the walls that house our own new family, it's the third member of our family!  So bringing a part of it into our wedding was only natural.
 
My original plan wasn't much of a plan at all, I was just going to write and erase as needed, but I can sometimes have a bit of a perfectionist streak, and having uneven, crooked writing would have driven me nuts.  So thank goodness a family friend (hi Susan!) asked if I was planning on printing a template out to trace.  Hello!  How did I not think of that!?  I blame it on the million other wedding things that were on the brain.  So after I found a font I liked, my mum printed our guest list out on overhead sheets and I taped them to the front of the windows.
 
Photobucket
 
The reason I wanted the printout on overheads was so that I could tape the sheets to the front of the window, flip them over and write on the back of the window (so that, once the windows were on display, the writing would not get smudged, scratched or wiped off because the writing was behind.  Make sense?)
 
Photobucket
 
Tracing a font made my life so much easier!
 
Photobucket
 
I don't have a picture of them set up at the wedding unfortunately but here they are all done and in our house!  There were two windows in the end. 
 
DSC04445_zpsf4b3882a
 
 
Photobucket
 
I wanted a font that wasn't too stuffy or formal because that's not really us, and wasn't the feel we were going for.  Just something nice with a little personality.  We made our table numbers, years, dates and numbers that were significant in our relationship (like our anniversary date, the year we started dating, the year we went away together, the year we spent in two different countries...)
 
Photobucket
 
 
Then during the wedding dinner, instead of clinking glasses to get us to kiss, guests were welcomed to guess the significance of their table's number (the DJ also said they could sing us a love song which some of them also did)
 
Photobucket


Right now these are sitting on the floor in our dining room, but eventually we'll get them hung up on our walls for some personalized wall art.  I just have to find the right spot, which I think I may already have, but we'll also have to make sure we don't tear any plaster down in the process - those windows are heavy, yo!

1 comment: